Visas and Work Permits
If you want to work in Ireland and you are a Non-EU/EEA citizen, you will need to apply for a visa or work permit which can only be arranged after you have been offered employment. Your application for a visa can be made by you directly or your employer with two types of employment visa/permits available to you provided your profession is on the critical skills short-list.
Critical Skills Visa
However, if you do not fit into either of the above categories, you will need a work permit. An application for a work permit can be made by either the employer or the employee. The following documentation must be supplied:
- A fully completed employment permit application form signed by both your employer and you, the employee;
- The position you are applying for is on the critical skills shortage list (click here);
- Evidence of the employee’s certified qualifications;
- The appropriate processing fee paid for by the applicant (employer or employee);
- A copy of the registration documentation with the appropriate medical body or validation of qualifications from the Department of Health and Children should also be attached.
This permit is used for Non-EU/EEA candidates looking to work in Ireland on a short term basis. The purpose of this permit is to enable doctors and nurses to work on a short-term basis and is ideal for candidates who prefer working in different regions on a rotational basis. You must be on the critical skills short-list in order to be considered for this type of permit. The process is:
- Your employer or agency point of contact can complete this application on your behalf and submit/liaise with Dept. of Justice Officials to expedite the process for you.
- Effective 21st November 2019, the AWS permit enables you to enter the State for a period of 90 days. You will be allowed to leave the state during this period for a maximum of 14 days during a 90 day AWS permit.
- IF YOU LEAVE THE STATE FOR LONGER THAN THE PERMITTED 14 DAYS DURING THE 90 DAY PERMIT ALLOWANCE, YOU WILL RENDER YOUR PERMIT INVALID AND WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO RE-ENTER IRELAND UNTIL THE 90 DAY PERIOD HAS ELAPSED.
- Once your AWS permit expires, you can re-apply immediately for a new permit which is a new and welcome addition that INIS have introduced to the AWS permit scheme
- You can apply for 3 AWS permits within a 12 month calendar year.
Note: Your passport must be in date and valid for at least three months after the proposed expiry date of the work permit